How to get a visa and teach English in France

It’s hard to believe that it’s already been three and a half years. In July 2012, I was working on my TEFL certificate in Chicago. By the end of August, I was living in Paris.

Now I live in Lyon and I’m in my fourth year of teaching English in France. Here’s how I found work and got my visas.

Year 1

Private language schools in Paris

My visa: I had a six-month student visa through a study abroad program. When I got it, six months seemed long, but they went by fast. You need to be enrolled in school full-time to get a student visa, which allows you to work about 20 hours a week. Public universities are inexpensive (a few hundred euros per year). You can also study at a language school. You can find more information on how to get a student visa via your regional French consulate.

My jobs: I was hired by a private language school soon after arriving in Paris. I had emailed my CV and was called in for an interview. Schools often recruit in September because everyone comes back from vacation for la rentrée – back to school, back to work. I worked 15-20 hours a week for the first three months, and then the school gave me fewer and fewer hours because they did not have enough new students. I had to find another job, but I only had a few months left on my visa, so most schools refused to even interview me. “Call us when you sort out your visa,” they said.

Finally, a language school for kids hired me to teach groups of children ages 3-10. I responded to their job posting online and then interviewed in person. I worked for them 10 hours a week until my visa expired, and then I worked for a wealthy bilingual family under the table on a “tourist visa” for a few months. I made more working for them than with language schools, even though I only worked two weeks a month. (I found their job posting at the American Chuch in Paris and sent them an email with my CV.)

The pay: Both language schools paid 18 euros/hour brut (so around 14 euros/hour net before taxes.) The other job paid 15 euros an hour net (with a fixed number of hours per week) and 100 euros/day when traveling.

See Things I Wish I Had Known About Teaching English In France for other helpful information.

Year 2

TAPIF Language Assistant in Lyon

My visa: TAPIF (Teaching Assistant Program In France) is a program for foreigners under 30 that allows you to work legally in France. I had a travailleur temporaire work visa. This visa is usually valid for about 9 months because the assistant contract is 7 months, but the San Francisco consulate did me a solid and gave me a 12 month visa (the maximum length).

My job: I worked 12 hours a week at a lycée in Lyon. I taught groups of 10-15 students ages 14-18. I got the job by applying to the TAPIF program, who placed me in the Rhône-Alpes region of France. The local education administration (the rectorat) gave me my school assignment over the summer. I also worked remotely for an American company as a travel assistant during this time.

The pay: Assistants net about 790 euros/month in metropolitan France (Paris too) for the duration of your contract. You work 12 hours a week (this can be split between several schools in the region.) This includes quite a few weeks of paid vacation (during the vacances scolaires.) Some schools provide low-cost housing on campus.

Years 3 & 4

Lectrice in Lyon

My visa: A lecteur/lectrice work contract allows foreigners to legally work in France for up to two years. (It’s a one year contract that can be renewed once if the school opts to keep you on.) I renewed my visa at the préfecture in Lyon instead of going back to the U.S. (If your visa is still valid and you are not changing status – from worker to student, for example – you can renew it in France.) I’ve blogged all about this process in case you’re interested. This year I had to wait in line for almost nine hours, starting at 3 a.m.! But now you can make appointments online… three months in advance. (Don’t worry, the préfecture is relatively painless in many other cities.) My visa is good for 1 year because that is the length of my lectrice contract.

My job: Lecteurs/lectrices are foreigners who teach at French universities. There is no national program; instead, you apply directly to the university if they have an opening. The job description and the application process vary depending on the school. Many schools will insist that you have a Masters degree, or a year of study towards one. Some schools will accept a TEFL certificate in lieu of this. I got an interview by sending my cover letter and CV to the head of the English department. Hiring season for lecteurs/lectrices is usually March through May, depending on the school.

Last year I taught 11-14 hours a week and this year I’ll teach 20 hours a week (we are compensated for teaching extra hours.) Some of my co-workers juggle another job on top of this. I’ve written all about the perks of being a lectrice here.

As I said, the lecteur/lectrice contract is 12 months long. If your school renews your contract, you can hold the position for a maximum of 2 years. It’s competitive because there are far fewer positions available than there are for assistants. In my opinion, this is the best job to have in France as an American teacher.

The pay: Lecteurs/lectrices earn a salary of around 1500 euros/month brut, or about 1250 net. This is paid for the twelve months of your contract, so it includes a significant amount of paid vacation. (Summer vacation, Christmas vacation, Toussaint vacation, winter vacation, spring vacation… and then some.) The number of hours vary by institution, but around 10-12 per week is normal. Beyond that, you are paid hourly for the extra hours you teach, 40 euros/hour brut. This is usually paid annually or bi-annually.

Note: French salaries are lower than Amerian salaries across the board. It’s really, really normal to earn less than 2,000 euros/month in many industries, especially at the beginning of your career. A lecteur/lectrice salary allows you to live comfortably almost anywhere in France (with the exception of Paris) even though it’s not a ton of money. For example, in Lyon you can live with roommates for around 400 euros/month and by yourself for 500-600 euros/month. Phone plans and public transport are cheaper, you won’t have car payments, and healthcare costs are negligible.

Other ways to work in France

Working Holiday Visa

If you from a country that offers a working holiday visa in France, it’s an excellent way to work in France. Americans cannot obtain a working holiday visa in France.

Franco-American Chamber of Commerce: American Trainees in France

If you are American, you may be able to get your visa sponsored by up to 18 months via the Franco-American Chamber of Commerce. You have to find a job that meets their requirements first, you must have a four-year degree, and you must be under 35. I have never actually met someone on this visa, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. More information here.

Freelance lessons and tutoring

Some language assistants and students earn extra money by teaching private students. Many families look for native English speakers to tutor their kids. You can also post an ad in upscale neighborhoods, at schools, or online. People also post up-for-grabs gigs in city-specific Facebook groups (e.g. “English teachers in Lyon”). I don’t recommend that you count on this for your main source of income, but it can be a good way to earn some cash on the side.


Vacataires teach at universities like lecteurs and lectrices do, but they don’t have a monthly salary – they are paid only for the hours they teach (40 euros/hour brut). Like heures supplémentaires for salaried teachers, they are usually paid in chunks once or twice a year. You must have another primary employer, and you cannot get a visa for being a vacataire.

I’ve written a more complete post on how to get a visa here.


This is meant to be a brief overview of my time working in France. It is based solely on my personal experiences, which may not pertain to everybody. If you would like more information, you are welcome to contact me with questions. You might want to check out the other posts I’ve written about teaching English in France. The most popular ones are Preparing for TAPIF, Things I wish I’d known about teaching English in France, and my favorite lesson plans.

If you’ve written about teaching English in France, feel free to share a link! If you’d like to mention something I missed, I’d love to hear from you. 

18 thoughts on “How to get a visa and teach English in France

    1. Thanks Edna! I have mixed feelings about putting my approximate salary info online, but this is definitely the kind of thing I would have wanted to know before I moved to Paris.

  1. Hi I found your post interesting and just wanted to add that while in Paris on the TAPIF programme we have teachers who work for our language school. The advantage is that we teach after school hours – we offer in-house training and all our courses are benchmarked to the CEFR which helps teachers with their lesson planning in schools. This allows teachers to earn extra income – it helps them in their lesson planning and consolidates their experience with real one to one experience. Our school is called The Turner Learning Center if anyone is interested they could look us up an apply.

  2. Hi C-Rose! Just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for leaving actual salary info up there! I understand how that can feel so personal but for those of us really trying to plan for this, it’s super duper useful/practical and you’re the only person I’ve found so far willing to do that. My question– I’m looking into the CELTA and would be interested in teaching adults in the business realm, but didn’t realize the pay was so much lower than I expected (again, thank you for sharing this!!!). Do you know if it might be higher for this certification?

    1. I’m glad it was useful to you! I remember I had no idea of what to expect before I moved to France, and it’s kind of important to know. I have a certification equivalent to CELTA and it would surprise me if there would be a different pay level, but it may make it easier to get certain jobs. There are business English schools that pay higher rates – 20-30 euros/hour is what I’ve seen – but they may offer way fewer hours much less consistently, or they may want you to have auto-entrepreneur status, in which case a chunk of your pay goes towards the work taxes your employer would normally pay for you. (There are also some companies that pay less than 18/hr, from what I’ve heard.) However, there are a lot of companies I don’t know about, and it’s been quite a few years since I worked with private language schools, so it’s possible that things have shifted, particularly with Brexit changes looming. Please updated us with the current situation when you get your job search going!

  3. Coucou C-Rose! Really love your blog and it has been super helpful regarding TAPIF and all things visa! Quick question for you… You said that you were able to renew your visa while you were still in Lyon at the préfecture, rather than going back to the U.S…. How did that work? I renewed my contract with TAPIF so I won’t be changing status – still “travailleur temporaire”, but I thought we had to return to the US in order to apply for a new visa…?

    Would love to hear how you were able to renew sans returning… The consulate in NYC is a nightmare and I’ve been trying to get an appointment since April (for August when I’ll be back home…) and no such luck!

    Thanks so much in advance!

    1. Hi Casey! Has your current visa expired? If not you can go to the prefecture in France to apply for a prolongation or to renew. You have to return to the US if it’s expired however. (C-Rose please correct me if I am wrong!)
      I know the NYC consulate can be very difficult to get an appointment with. I had luck by trying multiple times a day and at random hours (like 11pm EST). This is how I was able to get a spot. I also heard that the best time to log on is 6pm exactly which is when they release the canceled appointments that have come in.

      Hope that helps and best of luck!

      1. Thanks Beatrice! Yes, that’s my understanding as well. Thank you for sharing your NYC consulate tips – I have zero experience with them, but it sounds like it’s a real pain to get an appointment! (Worse than the préfecture 🙂 )

    2. Hi Casey! Sorry for the delayed response. I was able to renew my visa (or rather, apply for my first carte de séjour) at the préfecture because I wasn’t changing status and my visa was still valid for another two months. If your visa is expired or will expire shortly, or if you’re changing status, you have to go back to the U.S. If you’re not sure, I would check with your local consulate if you can (I know, it can be tricky to get in touch with them without waiting in a huge line.) If your visa is still valid, though, you should be able to renew locally. Good luck!!

  4. Hello! Thank you for the information.
    I was just wondering if you could legally teach privately or engage in any other kind of work with this visa. I have not yet found any information.

    Also do you suppose being paid during holidays would have changed?

    Many Thanks!

    1. Which kind of visa do you mean? I had a few different types during my time in France. A visa with work permission that is not linked to teaching should allow you to do other kinds of work besides teaching English, but check with your consulate. There may be some restrictions. Tutoring privately is very common, although technically you should be set up as an autoentrepreneur. Many schools will not offer any paid time off for hourly, part-time positions, but some may. It depends on the type of school and your position. I hope some of the resources I’ve shared here and on my FAQ page will be helpful in your research. Good luck!

Be awesome, leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s