Hi, and thanks for stopping by! I’m CatherineRose. Back in 2012, I moved to Paris to teach English (I ♥ Paris). Then I moved to Lyon (which I ♥ even more) and stayed for three more years, working as a university lectrice and a TAPIF language assistant. I also ate a lot of croissants.
I started this blog in 2014, mostly just as a personal experiment. Would I like blogging? What would I blog about? Would anyone read it?
It’s still evolving, but so far, I have written a lot about living in France, teaching English abroad, and budget travel in Europe. I like to create helpful resources, and I also like to chronicle memories and travels and photos for my own enjoyment.
Sometimes I don’t have as much time to blog as I would like, but you can always find me on Instagram. If you want to get in touch, I am usually faster at Twitter than email (I hate email. Sorry about that).
If you have a question about moving to France, there’s a good bet that I’ve answered it in a blog post. Here are some of the most popular posts from the blog:
Top posts on how to move to France
Top posts on teaching English in France
- Things I Wish I Had Known About Teaching English in France
- TAPIF: My Favorite ESL Games and Lessons
- Preparing for the TAPIF Language Assistant Program in France: What to do, and what not to do
- Working in France: Lectrice Q&A
- $50 discount at the International TEFL Academy
Top posts on Lyon
Top posts on Paris
- Paris Cheap Eats: International yummies for 10 euros or less
- La Campagne à Paris
- Eating My Way Through Paris (Again): The overhyped and the unsung
Top posts on French language & culture
- Two things you should never say to your French boyfriend
- Seven foods that need to go mainstream in France
- 6 Things to Cook for your French Friends
Top rants on French bureaucracy
- Renewing my visa in Lyon: 9 hours at the préfecture
- Winning an epic battle with French lab billing
- The Préfecture: Hell in France?
- Social Security Saga: Getting l’assurance maladie in France part 1 and part 2